Mtech Ventures Incubator
Mtech Ventures is a University of Maryland incubator for technology-based innovations commercialized at the university. Mtech Ventures helps early-stage startups survive the critical period in their development between conducting customer discovery and raising their first round of venture capital. The Mtech Ventures facility offers affordable space and hands-on mentoring for early stage companies. Companies involved in the program also benefit from the extensive facilities and services available from the University System of Maryland, one of the country’s largest public research and teaching systems.
Located on the College Park campus in the Herbert Rabin Technology Advancement Building, Mtech Ventures is strategically situated adjacent to the university’s bioscience, engineering and computer science complexes. Mtech Ventures is designed to accommodate a variety of space configurations for offices and laboratories suitable for both prototype development and small scale production. For fabrication and testing on a larger scale, the university’s advanced laboratories and scale-up facilities are easily accessible. Virtual incubation with mailbox service is also available.
The Mtech Ventures Incubator offers a wide range of support services to its member companies, including:
Standard Incubator Services Provided:
- 1-on-1 access to business mentors and EIRs
- Customer discovery education and support through the UMD I-Corps program
- NSF I-Corps application assistance
- Industry analysis and market research
- Assistance with team building and operations
- Assistance in building a prototype
- Access to IP and Corporate Law attorneys
- Application assistance for SBIR/STTR grants
- Pitch deck preparation for Angel/Venture Capital funding & introductions
- Monthly milestone meetings with Mtech Ventures staff (or more frequently as needed)
- Potential for strategic partnerships with corporations through the Corprenect Program
- Two conference rooms for 8-10 people
- Mailbox service and package reception
- HVAC with some utilities included
- Wet labs with B&V Testing biosafety cabinets and B&V Testing Airfoil ByPass fume hoods
- Private office space
- Coworking office space
- 10ft lab benches
- Standard 120V outlets
- Access to student and staff athletic facilities
Interested companies should apply using the link below. Select companies will be invited for an admission interview with Mtech Ventures staff. If it is determined that the company’s current goals align with those of the Mtech Ventures incubator, the company will be accepted for admission into the program. The company will then confer with Mtech Ventures staff regarding space requirements, any special facility needs, access to equipment, and other resources prior to the signing of a license agreement.
Early-stage companies developing a technology-driven product or service that has commercial application are eligible to apply for membership. Founding teams are required to complete the University of Maryland I-Corps Program, and if possible, the National Science Foundation I-Corps Program. Companies must have an intellectual property license agreement in place with UM Ventures College Park (formerly the Office of Technology Commercialization) prior to acceptance into the Incubator. The period of residence within the incubator is limited to three years, after which a company is expected to have raised outside funding and graduate from the program.